We all know what the title means in the world of finances but how about in our personal lives?
Over the past year, my husband and I have been eating healthy nutritious meals by following meal plans created by our fitness and nutrition coaches from Club Inhale Exhale. As an accountant who helps many businesses and individuals with financial planning, I am extremely happy because not only are we are feeling great by eating healthy but, we are saving money!!!
How are we doing this?
- We shop with lists provided by the customized meal plans which is not only saving time but limiting useless purchases.
- We follow the ingredients listed on our meal plans and purchase food from the perimeter of the store and limit purchases from the middle aisles. Food from the middles aisles are processed, pre-prepared and tend to be more expensive.
- We follow the meal plan’s guidelines and eat portions that have been calculated specifically for our body type and weight loss or maintenance goals which is helping us reduce leftovers and waste.
- We prepare delicious meals and snacks in advance so we are not wasting money on take out and fast food restaurants for our breakfasts, lunches, snacks and dinners. We have done this by packing a lunch and snacks, preparing batches of items one day during the week and storing portions in our cabinets, refrigerator and freezer. We have created convenience and save precious time during a busy work week.
- We store, arrange and label food in the refrigerator and cabinets so we can easily find food and avoid spoilage. We rarely throw out food since we have been following the meal plans.
- We no longer eat out for convenience during our busy work week. Planning in advance and regular food shopping has enabled us to eat delicious meals and snacks every day which translates into huge savings every week. After I put pen to paper and calculated our personal weekly and yearly savings I was amazed.
Average Savings by Cooking In vs Dining Out
Estimated cost-2 Adult Dinners
Cooking In-Cost of Groceries $20
In some cases it is less than this depending on the variety of meat, poultry, fish, vegetables and starch etc…
Dining out, excluding drinks $34 (Approx $17 per person)
Meals tax 6.25% 2
Dining Out -Cost of Meal $42
Savings per meal $22
Average # times we dine out/week 2
# Weeks/year 52
To many of us, saving money and minimizing waste is a priority in our households but this was really a home run!
Last year after we had been following the meal plans, we began to see the amazing results. We felt great, lost weight, maintained weight loss, and were less stressed about food shopping. In addition, we had money in our pocketbooks to spend on other things in our lives. I was discussing the whole process with my fitness and nutrition coaches and Coach Kelly said “Steph, you are now a CFO-CHIEF FOOD OFFICER!” At that moment, it became clear to me that we had taken control of our nutrition and wellness which has a direct result in gaining control over an aspect of our finances called the food budget. We have been empowered! Our nutrition fitness keeps us focused and motivates us to stay on course with our financial fitness and goals. The combination of nutrition fitness and financial fitness are providing to us a lifestyle full of fun and happiness.
If you nourish your body and mind, financial fitness will follow.
We are still learning about our nutrition and a healthy lifestyle every week from our fitness and nutrition coaches. If you want to learn more about our journey, my services or more about nutrition go to the Club Inhale Exhale website and listen to The Green Chocolate Bar podcasts of the radio show that airs every Wednesday on WCAP 980AM 10-11am. My appearance dates were 10/22/14, 12/31/14 and 4/15/15.
My husband and I are also attending a Wellness Retreat June 12-14, 2015, it will be located in the beautiful Bass River area of Cape Cod, you can learn more on my website, just follow the link. or twitter #capecodretreat.